The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
ABOUT THE VALUE REPORTING FOUNDATION
The Value Reporting Foundation is a global nonprofit organization that offers a comprehensive suite of resources designed to help businesses and investors develop a shared understanding of enterprise value—how it is created, preserved, or eroded over time. The resources—including Integrated Thinking Principles, the Integrated Reporting Framework, and SASB Standards—can be used alone or in combination, depending on business needs. These tools, already adopted in over 70 countries, comprise the 21st century market infrastructure needed to develop, manage and communicate strategy that creates long-term value and drives improved performance.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Please make your case in your cover letter.
As an Analyst on the research team, you are at the heart of sustainability in the capital markets. You are passionate about the role that environmental and social factors play in creating enterprise value and bring experience in analyzing sustainability issues through a financial lens. You will lead the development of the SASB Standards in the Transportation Sector through high-quality execution of research, analysis, and engagements with companies, investors, and subject matter experts. You also enjoy and actively contribute to the collaborative environment with other research team staff and engage with the independent Standards Board, which is responsible for the approval of the standards.
You bring subject matter expertise on ESG issues and an understanding of how these issues can impact financial performance of companies. You equally have an open mind and curiosity to continually learn. Examples of issues you may dive into through research and market engagement include how to measure and manage climate transition risk exposure, product lifecycle and end-of-life waste management, and integration of renewable energy into industry business models to reduce emissions and create value.
Reports to: Associate Director of Research
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The Value Reporting Foundation’s work is dynamic and fast-paced. While the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
Standard Setting & Research
- Lead research, analysis, and development of recommendations on industry specific ESG issues to maintain and revise the SASB Standards
- Establish expertise in key and emerging sustainability topics by monitoring industry, market and company news, and engaging with the market
- Leverage quantitative and qualitative data to form research-based insights around the financial impacts of sustainability topics
- Lead engagements with the SASB Standards Board and drive reviews and decisions on standard-setting activities
- Develop and implement strategies to build new relationships and enhance existing relationships with companies, investors, and subject matter experts to gather input on the SASB standards and relevant ESG issues
- Engage and facilitate stakeholder dialogues with experts who can inform the standard-setting process
- Drive market education, awareness, and participation in the standard-setting process through moderating and/or representing the Value Reporting Foundation at relevant industry conferences, workshops, and events
Analysts are proactive, curious, strategic, collaborative, and highly organized critical thinkers with a growth mindset who are committed to the vision and values of the Value Reporting Foundation. In addition, Analysts have:
- 5+ years of professional experience in the Transportation sector (e.g., airlines, automobile, marine transportation, rail industry) in a finance, accounting, consulting, and/or sustainability function
- Demonstrated research and analytical skills, including technical aptitude and the ability to synthesize complex quantitative and qualitative information into clear insights and conclusions
- Understanding of capital markets, corporate finance and/or financial disclosures is a must
- Experience in sustainability or environmental, social & governance (ESG) research preferred
- Excellent writing, presentation, and speaking skills across a range of formats and audiences
- Experience in leading and managing strategic stakeholder relationships, with investor and corporate stakeholders is a plus
- Driven and collaborative work style with an ability to be effective both as an individual contributor and project manager in a dynamic environment
- Undergraduate degree (BA or BS) required
- Advanced degree and/or certification in a relevant field preferred (e.g., MBA, MS in Engineering or Finance, CFA, CPA)
- Proficiency using Bloomberg Terminal, Thomson Reuters Eikon, or other financial data and analytics platforms a plus
- Deep commitment to the mission of the Value Reporting Foundation
SPECIAL ADA REQUIREMENTS
VRF is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
LOCATION & LOGISTICS
This is a full-time position with benefits, located in San Francisco, CA; New York, NY; Denver, CO; or London, England.
(The VRF will be operating remotely until at least January 2022 due to Covid-19.)
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to [email protected], with the email subject as “Analyst, SASB Standards – Transportation.”
Please also complete our employment application.