Business Development Lead for Corporate Sustainability/ESG
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in this position.
About The Value Reporting Foundation
The Value Reporting Foundation (VRF) is a global nonprofit organization that offers a comprehensive suite of resources designed to help businesses and investors develop a shared understanding of enterprise value—how it is created, preserved, or eroded over time. The resources—including Integrated Thinking Principles, the Integrated Reporting Framework, and SASB Standards—can be used alone or in combination, depending on business needs. These tools, already adopted in over 70 countries, comprise the 21st century market infrastructure needed to develop, manage, and communicate strategy that creates long-term value and drives improved performance.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Make your case in your cover letter. Generic letters don’t persuade us.
At the Value Reporting Foundation, you will be part of a growing team tasked with expanding the organization’s commercial relationships with companies, corporate reporting software firms, and corporate consultants. VRF resources, which include the Integrated Reporting Framework and Integrated Thinking Principles, and SASB Standards, provide a range of offerings to organizations, including a membership program, IP licensing rights, and event sponsorship. You will help develop and implement strategies to reach and respond to prospective client firms that can benefit from using VRF resources in their products, services, or educational efforts. You embrace a solution-selling mindset and approach to prospective clients.
You like that you will be working closely with many types of organizations to enable integration, knowledge, and data pertaining to ESG. You are excited to learn about the financial impacts of sustainability. You are excited to help the VRF succeed—both financially and at its mission—especially in our high-growth environment where we saw 2021 product sales grow nearly 50% from the previous year and receive approximately 20-30 legitimate inbounds per month.
You don’t believe “sales” is a dirty word because you are focused on win-win relationships where everyone benefits. You have learned from experience that authenticity, trust, and problem-solving are essential to building relationships. You are responsive and err on the side of being too helpful. You recognize the importance of systems and processes to help you manage internal and external relationships.
You set and achieve stretch goals while pursuing ongoing learning and personal development. You combine a problem-solving mentality with a resilient demeanor to help the VRF test, learn, and achieve what’s never been done before. You practice good habits with communication, open-mindedness, and trust, and you expect the same from your team members.
Areas of Responsibility
The Value Reporting Foundation’s work is dynamic and fast-paced. While the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
- Contribute to development of an enterprise sales strategy targeting the corporate sustainability reporting ecosystem, namely companies publishing ESG/sustainability/integrated reports (excluding financial services firms), corporate reporting service providers, and corporate consulting firms
- Implement the strategy while communicating clearly, accurately, and convincingly about VRF offerings
- Respond to and follow up on inbound inquiries (which historically provide the majority of prospects as opposed to outbound prospecting)
- Research key market segments and individual organizations, including key decision makers within, to identify potential fit for VRF offerings
- Identify sales leads and leverage available networks to secure an introduction (VRF networks, Board members’ networks, and/or your own network)
- Surface ideas for improvements to enhance prospecting
- Schedule and plan calls/meetings with prospects and, as relevant, organize events that support the enterprise sales strategy
Cultivation & Finalization
- Connect with prospects, build trust, and learn their needs—connecting them with appropriate solutions VRF offers to solve those needs (if an appropriate solution exists)
- Coordinate with client’s business team and vendor management, and VRF stakeholders to finalize orders and support contract negotiation when necessary
- When contracts are signed, conduct an effective transition to others at VRF for product fulfillment and invoicing
Education and Marketing
- Stay updated on current market trends, reporting requirements, and business views on sustainability/ESG/integrated reporting
- Draft copy in conjunction with marketing team to inform strategic and recurring outbound outreach to key stakeholders and market segments
- Customize existing presentation and marketing materials to promote key aspects of VRF’s value proposition to relevant audiences
- Support the development of though leadership and white paper creation
Operational Management and Data Analytics
- Manage existing processes in Salesforce to ensure good record-keeping on contact information for prospective organizational clients
- Manage a Docusign process to transmit finalized contracts for signing and archiving upon completion
- Maintain accurate records of sales (prospective and closed) in Salesforce and routinely review for data accuracy and completion
Desired Skills & Qualifications
- Commitment to the mission of the Value Reporting Foundation
- Enthusiasm and comfort in fast-changing conditions – flexibility is important
- 5-8 years of professional experience with demonstrated skills relevant to business development
- Experience with B2B/enterprise sales process preferred, with priority given to business development experience with large and mid-sized publicly listed companies around the world
- Strong familiarity with ESG and sustainability preferred; if not, a strong desire to learn is critical
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM System
- Tremendous organizational skills and attention to detail
- Service-oriented and strategic mindset, with the ability to prioritize and manage many tasks simultaneously
- Execution-oriented, able to get tasks and projects done quickly while maintaining excellent quality
- Strong process orientation; able to identify and implement improvements
- US or UK work permit required
- Competency with Microsoft Office, including PowerPoint
Special ADA Requirements
VRF is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Areas of Responsibility” and “Desired Skills & Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard. Please be advised that standing and or sitting for long durations may be a part of the workday for extended periods of time.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- May be required to drive personal or rented auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits located in one of VRF’s hubs – San Francisco, CA; New York, NY; Denver, CO; or London, England. Preferred location in London.
(The VRF will be operating remotely for the foreseeable future due to Covid-19.)
Please submit your resume and cover letter via email to [email protected], with the email subject as “Business Development Lead for Corporate Sustainability/ESG”
Please also complete our employment application.