Head of Biodiversity Research
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
About the Value Reporting Foundation
The Value Reporting Foundation is a global nonprofit organization that offers a comprehensive suite of resources designed to help businesses and investors develop a shared understanding of enterprise value—how it is created, preserved, or eroded over time. The resources—including Integrated Thinking Principles, the Integrated Reporting Framework, and SASB Standards—can be used alone or in combination, depending on business needs. These tools, already adopted in over 70 countries, comprise the 21st century market infrastructure needed to develop, manage and communicate strategy that creates long-term value and drives improved performance.
Are you right for our mission and this role? Please make your case in your cover letter.
As the Head of Biodiversity Research, you are a highly experienced, senior-level leader passionate about the intersection of science, economics, and finance. You are excited to leverage this expertise to illuminate the connection between biodiversity-related risks and opportunities, and financial risk and return, corporate and investment strategy, and the integrity of financial systems. You understand the role that corporate disclosure plays in driving capital markets, and are excited to take on the challenge of improving and further developing disclosure standards that produce useful information for the capital markets concerning biodiversity-related risks and opportunities.
You bring with you a strong set of existing relationships with key, thought-leading biodiversity-focused institutions, and you are motivated to identify and establish new relationships with key stakeholders to provide valuable input when forming SASB’s biodiversity research strategy.
You are eager to take on the challenge of defining the biodiversity research strategy for the SASB Standards, including leading efforts to ensure disclosure standards reflect the most current research. As a member of the technical staff for the SASB Standards, you provide technical expertise and leadership for the SASB staff members, leading our biodiversity-related standards development activities.
You are an effective communicator who can speak credibly on behalf of the research, consultation and overall development process for the SASB Standards, including inspiring confidence in a wide range of stakeholder groups – including companies, investors, academics, and subject-matter experts.
You are a strong believer in the Value Reporting Foundation’s mission, particularly including the role of the SASB Standards, and are willing to execute and support organizational projects beyond standards development. You enjoy working collaboratively and leveraging your expertise to achieve SASB’s broad organizational objectives.
Reports to: Chief Technical Officer – SASB Standards
Areas of Responsibility
The Value Reporting Foundation’s work is dynamic and fast-paced. While the primary areas of responsibility are as follows, we value adaptability and a collaborative mindset.
- Develop comprehensive biodiversity research strategy to ensure the SASB Standards can effectively identify, analyze, and document emerging evidence connecting biodiversity-related risks and opportunities to enterprise value across industries and the overall capital markets.
- Engage the SASB Standards Board to solicit viewpoints and drive consensus with respect to biodiversity research priorities and the research and standard-setting project portfolio.
- Actively monitor and review biodiversity-related regulatory trends and academic and other research publications relevant to standards-development activities, including investor interest in as well as the financial impacts of biodiversity.
- Lead or oversee the execution of biodiversity-related standard-setting projects.
- Maintain and further develop existing relationships with companies, investors, and leading organizations focused on the intersection of biodiversity, economics, finance, and business.
- Effectively solicit market input to help define biodiversity research strategy and to drive forward biodiversity-related standard-setting activities that are market informed.
External Communication and Thought Leadership
- Effectively communicate the biodiversity research strategy to a wide range of audiences and across formats including in-person speaking events, webinars, briefings, and other forums.
- Lead or serve as key technical expert supporting the development of thought-leading publications demonstrating the Value Reporting Foundation’s knowledge and expertise in the intersection between biodiversity and industry-specific financial materiality.
- Serve as point of contact for advisory groups on biodiversity-related activities and provide regular updates on the biodiversity research strategy and progress.
Technical Integration of the SASB Standards into Global Capital Markets
- Actively influence, contribute, and lead aspects of the organizational efforts on the advancement and integration of the SASB Standards into global capital markets, including the active collaborations with high profile organizations in the field.
- Collaborate with key internal and external individuals in the assessing and prioritizing opportunities, and developing strategies to advance the technical integration of the SASB Standards into global capital markets
- Proven project management and supervisory experience
- Experience managing personnel in complex, multi-stakeholder environments
- Experience in implementing, managing, and overseeing a formal standard-setting process in a team-based environment
- 15+ years’ experience in a relevant field
- Experience in sustainability or environmental, social & governance (ESG) research
- Excellent writing, presentation, and speaking skills across a range of formats and audiences (technical writing experience is a plus)
- Experience in strategic stakeholder relationship management, including investor and corporate stakeholders
- Undergraduate degree (BA or BS) required
- Advanced degrees and certifications in a relevant field strongly preferred (e.g., advanced degree in the science of biodiversity; MS in Engineering or Finance; MBA; CFA; CPA)
- Deep commitment to the mission of the Value Reporting Foundation
Special ADA Requirements
The Value Reporting Foundation is in full compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and does not discriminate applicants or employees with disabilities, and will make reasonable accommodation when necessary.
- For the purposes of ADA, the “Essential Duties and Responsibilities” and “Qualifications” are essential job functions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment, with typical office noise, equipment, and with staff tending to other business transactions.
- Both standing and sitting are required for extended periods of time, with majority of work of the job done sitting. Approximately three-quarters of the time performing job duties is spent using a computer keyboard.
- Various types of office equipment/supplies are used to accomplish the job requirements and include, but are not limited to phones, computers, pens, pencils, calculators, computer keyboards, telephone, printers, etc.
- Required to drive personal auto to other work sites for meetings, conferences, etc.
Location & Logistics
This is a full-time position with benefits, located in San Francisco, CA; New York, NY; Denver, CO; or London, England.
Vaccination against COVID-19 is a condition of employment in all locations.